We can recommend healthcare products for your pets to protect against creepy crawlies such as fleas, ticks, mites, lice and intestinal worms, and keep a variety of these products in stock. If you need advice, please contact us to recommend products that suit your pet, environment and budget. We will tailor make a parasite control program for your individual pet, depending on lifestyle and from amongst a number of excellent products now available.
Fleas can be found sometimes even on the cleanest of pets so it’s worth knowing what to look for and how to keep fleas away!
Signs of Flea Infestation
- Scratching or skin irritation
- Small black specs ‘dirt’ in the fur
- Scabs on the skin or hair loss
If you find fleas on your pet you will need to treat both your pet and your home as fleas and their eggs can live for many months dormant. Here are some steps to take if your pet has fleas.
- Pet treatment: There are a variety of oral and external treatments for pets. Often oral treatments are preferred and protect you pets from other common issues such as worms or ticks. If unsure speak with your vet who will be happy to advise.
- The house: Clean your pets bedding daily while dealing with an infestations and vacuum areas your pet stays such as furniture or rooms they spent time in. Throw away the dust bag from your vacuum, or empty it immediately after vacuuming to prevent flea eggs and larvae returning.
Worms & Treatment
Worms are easily spread between pets that spend time outdoors and can make them ill and even lead to death. Also, for a household, some worms can be move between pets and people. Often worms are present in completely healthy-looking dogs and cats, so it’s important to worm your pets on a routine basis rather than when symptoms occur.
Signs of worms in pets
Often worms don’t display symptoms until the problem is very advanced. If this is allowed to occur here are some of the symptoms you may see.
- Weight loss
- Dry and coarse fur
- Increased appetite
- Round or pot belly
- Worm treatment
The good news is worming treatments are simple to give your pet these days and can prevent a variant of parasites including heart worm. Often treatments can protect your pet against a variety of issues such as ticks and fleas also. These come in many forms such as oral treatments or injectables, some of which can be done on your annual check-up and last the entire year.
If you have any questions about fleas, ticks, heartworm or worming treatments, please as at your next check-up or give us a call. We are here to help.